× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Can You Fix This With Factory Information?
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 8/11/2010 102 Replies

This vehicle has been in 3 times without being repaired. Now it's my turn. The vehicle in question is a 2009 Suburban with just about every option that you can order from the factory. It has no aftermarket equipment installed.

The complaint is that the customer gets into his truck after sitting overnight and finds the battery stone dead. This may happen several days apart. The vehicle was in before and checked for draws, every applicable bulletin was checked and the battery was replaced along with the negative cable, both positive cables and the mega fuse.

I first saw it when it was towed in. The battery was dead and measured 3.5 volts. Nothing was turned on in the vehicle. I charged and tested the battery and checked for key off draw. 10 ma. I saw no evident problem with the truck. It sat in the shop for 4 days. Every morning I checked the battery and found it fully charged. The 5th morning, it was dead and measured 3.5 volts again.

I charged the battery again and put a Fluke on it in min/max mode for 2 days. It never went above 12ma draw. Every morning the battery was strong. After 7 days, it was stone dead again. Where would you go from here? Is there any factory information to help you diagnose this puzzle?

James from Florida

102 Replies Received (View Replies)