× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Davis unified distributor and a 4 speed over drive
Posted to R.P.M. Forum on 3/10/2014 11 Replies

Ok guys I am looking for some help here my father in-law has a nice 87 full size short bed truck that is clean as the day it was new despite the fact that we put a 318/904 in it out of a 1988 full size van in it a couple years ago. When we did the swap we rebuilt the engine and the transmission and used all the van parts computer distributor and a new edlebrock carb. Well this truck is a LAZY pig we have played with the timing and the carb to no avail so now the plan is the swap out the factory distributor and vacuum advance computer for a Davis unified distributor with a performance curve in it. Hope that will wake up the engine. And the step after that is to install an A500 overdrive transmission in place of the 3 speed that is there now. 1 have any of you done this distributor swap? 2 Have any of you done this transmission swap? OR am I throwing good money after bad?

Eric Riddles
Educator/Instructor
Lebanon Technology & Career Center
Lebanon, Missouri, USA

11 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

1987 Dodge D100 Custom 3.7L

Engine3.7 L
Trans3-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

1987 Dodge D100 Custom 3.7L

Engine3.7 L