Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Freightliner columbia MBE 4000
Posted to HD/Fleet Forum on 8/24/2017 11 Replies

Customer had another shop install a clutch the truck ran for about 20 minutes shut off and would not restart. Customer suspected a fuel prime. I primed engine and truck would still not start. Hooked up scan tool to read codes had inactive codes for crank position and cam position sensors along with a code for switched battery voltage. The switched battery voltage code is the only one that went active began diagnosing that problem found that I had power and ground going into VCU. Book says to replace VCU if it has power and ground to it. Since I wasn't convinced the VCU could cause a no start I checked power and ground to the ECM. had power and ground at all the pins it was suppose to. I had a similar truck in the shop I swapped VCU and it started immediately. Tried to start truck again and it would just crank. every now and then the truck starts for no reason and then will not restart. When first turn key on check engine light does not come on and then go off. If I shake the battery cable it will come on and go off but still will not start. After I shake the cable the check engine light will come on that one time but not a subsequent time after that untill I shake the cable again. Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Tudor
Technician/Shop Foreman
M.E. Tudor Equipment Service Inc.
Gainesville, Virginia, USA

11 Replies Received (View Replies)