× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
DLC connection/ wipers/ window
Posted to HD/Fleet Forum on 3/26/2015 8 Replies

This bus is #2 of a set of twins we recently acquired. Bus #1 had no Speedo/odometer. Testing through the 9 pin with Jpro showed it was getting a speed signal in the trans and brake controller. Bus #2 had a Speedo that would work after a few miles, but it also showed speed when looking at it with Jpro.

After alot of head scratching, we swapped GEMs. Now Bus #1 had a working speedo and Bus #2 did not. Great. I ordered up a GEM and took it down to the dealer to have it programmed. They could not hook up to the truck with their IDS. I wasn't really surprised because I have never been able to hook up to the computer through the 16 pin DLC either but I was assuming it was because there was a problem with the JPro hardware/software.

And this is where I am stuck. The wiring diagram shows the wire from Pin 7 on the DLC joins the wire from pin J on the EDC and they both go to the GEM. That seems to be the only connection that the DLC makes.

I guess my questions are:

1, How do I figure out why Ford can't connect to the GEM and,

2, What data would I actually get if I was connected? WHen troubleshooting with Jpro about this connection, I talked to one of their computer people and they told me that the only thing that I would be able to connect to is the transmission and since I can do that through the EDC, do I have a need for this extra connector we were sold?

At this time, I have no wiper functions and no drivers window auto down, but I have passenger up and down.

Tim Ball
Manager/Technician
TAC Transportation
Bend, Oregon, USA

8 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2010 Ford F650 6.7L

VIN 3FRNF6FC5A
Engine6.7 L

car Vehicle Data

2010 Ford F650 6.7L

VIN 3FRNF6FC5A