× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: 6430 jd tractor low power smoke
Posted to HD/Fleet Forum on 3/7/2015

For what it's worth , we have a JD 6620 , used in summer as a roadside ditch cutter tractor ,in winter as a snow removal unit . It developed a peculiar activity similar to yours ,with a little begging and pleading , they let me look at the JD website , while I was at the dealer's ,it turns out , I didn't know that there is a tiny little screen , inside the inlet for the fuel injector pump , it had become clogged over the winter run with an assorted mess of who knows what . If you go to remove it to clean it , be advised ,some of them have a spring loaded check ball ,just underneath the inlet screen fitting -ask me how I know - Anyway ,look on the side of the injector pump ,as well ,down near the bottom of the pump body , there should be another drain for the pump ,do not open it while it is under pressure , you're in for a nasty surprise ,if there is water there as well ,advise the tractor owner to be prepared for a pump replacement - they are not cheap , by the way -Good luck , good hunting -

Roger Rutledge
Technician/Shop Foreman
Green Park Services
Brantford, Ontario, Canada