× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Electrical malfunction , sun roof
Posted to HD/Fleet Forum on 8/5/2014

Just a quick thank you to Edward H. who put me on the right trail ,it turns out this truck does have one of the sunroofs for which there was a recall , the boss missed it and didn't know , too much paperwork , I guess . Anyway , it is being scheduled to be pulled out of service and sent back in for the recall . If Edward was closer to here , I'd personally buy him a case of something cold , whatever his personal preference . The initial lookover on the sunroof problem led me to recheck the fuse block , missed this one the first time , once all the racket died down . I took a second look , spotted something odd about the fuse block , then it all started to make sense , this truck is also a plow truck , one of the operators had a minor fender bender over the winter . Not too serious , but it was just enough to pop the inner fender liner loose , that was enough for the underside of the fuse block to be subjected , numerous times , to a constant soaking in liquid salt . The most severely damaged portion of the block was where the circuits are located for , guess what , the windshield wiper and washer , the wiring was covered in green and white dust , I am honestly surprised it ran this long without shutting down due to bad wiring . The insurance company can take their sweet time , as I'm sure they will , but it doesn't matter now , problem has been found and sorted out . I can't say enough good things about iATN , you guys saved my bacon once again , and now I have two shop kids who want to start an apprenticeship , and become heavy equipment and diesel mechanics , and , it goes without saying , they want to sign on to iATN . I will have to find out the proper procedure to do this , but it will happen . Sorry I went on so long guys , I do try to keep it brief , but I will close this post now , and get on to other nightmares at work here . As far as I am concerned , I will stay with iATN , as they say here ,at work , until they retire me or send me home with a pension , you know , the gold watch and chain thing . One of my role models on here is Gary G. , as we are almost the same age ,and I have the same outlook , I'm not ready to quit yet .Take care , guys , have a good day .

Roger Rutledge
Technician/Shop Foreman
Green Park Services
Brantford, Ontario, Canada