Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Failed NOx
Posted to Emissions Forum on 1/4/2014 2 Replies

Hi Michael,

I'm not familiar with GPM results, since California uses PPM. However, I can say that I would never "pretend to be selling a repair" without diagnosing it first. I am not saying that it cannot be done based solely on the printout that you gave, just that I don't consider myself to be qualified to do so without getting my hands dirty on the actual vehicle.

I note that there is a high NOx situation and a MIL. Very soon (probably this year), this vehicle will be subject to the OBD-only inspection in CA, and the NOx output will become officially 'irrelevant'. It would still fail that 'new' inspection for the MIL, and that is the first area that I would investigate, using whatever experience, tooling, and service information I had at my disposal.

It would be in my best professional interests to concentrate on the MIL above all else, regardless of my personal convictions, because the brilliant STAR program here has decided that I (as an inspector, not as a repair tech) will be held accountable for a future inspection failure for up to two years after I pass it, whether or not I had even the slightest role in anything other than the after-'repair' pass.

I hope that my answer was specific enough.

Michael Barry
Quick Stop Smog & More
Sacramento, California, USA

2 Replies Received (View Replies)