Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Potty mouth smog techs
Posted to Emissions Forum on 1/9/2013 2 Replies

[...trimmed text...]

I can't say yes to either of the choices that you offered. I believe that as humans we all possess the capacity for vulgarity, cruelty, violence, love, sadness, disgust, joy ... and more. It's how we edit this behavior that makes each of us unique, among other things.

As a fly on the wall, are you more likely to witness vulgarity from a room full of 30-year-old sailors of a room full of 70-year-old nuns? I don't equate vulgarity and corruption, as some might, including you, but that is just proof that our brains are wired differently. I laugh at most dirty jokes that don't involve cruelty to animals or children ... does that make me morally corrupt? Ask a sufficient number of random adults that question today, and I believe that you may find close to a 50/50 split.

So, I would offer that we feed off of the general mood over there. Coherent, constructive points are generally met with polite feedback. Incoherent, cruel, or uncomplimentary points are generally met with un-polite feedback. The moderator at that "other forum" has decided to give us a lot of leeway with regards to the latter, and a significant percentage of members have elected to take advantage of this. I can't speak for the others, but I do it to release some of the stress that piles up on me daily, with mixed success.

Now that I've done my best to answer your question, could you answer me this?

As someone who is so allegedly offended by the "f" word, why did you go through so much effort to find it in such a specific manner? Did you cringe as you typed it? Did you avoid mentally saying it to yourself? Is this type of vulgarity being thrust upon you unwillingly by members of that "other forum", or did you actively seek it out? If you or others are interested in some or all of the non-vulgar posts, for whatever reason, would it be helpful if I offered to e-mail you edited versions of the daily threads, with all of the "f" words removed?

Michael Barry
Quick Stop Smog & More
Sacramento, California, USA

2 Replies Received (View Replies)