Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Let's Play a Game
Posted to Emissions Forum on 6/7/2012 7 Replies

Hi Tam,

I read your description of the conditions present when you observed visible smoke, then compared them to SCM 1-12 1.3.4 and SCM 1-12 Appendix A. If the vehicle only smokes when accelerating from a stop, then in theory it would only emit smoke at the very beginning of ASM 5015, which is NOT on the list of circumstances by which the technician is allowed to make a PASS/FAIL decision.

I think that it is theoretically possible for this vehicle to pass a complete, correct and impartial inspection, assuming that it could pass the second and third snap tests (which you might or might not have witnessed while briefly following this pile).

When I smell oil burning during ASM, my second and third snap tests become "extra-snappy" (while staying within the parameters of the SCM, of course), but I do not (and should not, by my interpretation) fail a vehicle for a puff of smoke during ASM.

Please try not to forget, however; the preceding message was written by an incompetent and/or dishonest piece of s**t, if FPR scores are factored into the mix .... :-/

Take care, everyone! I'll hang out with you guys if you'll have me, even next year, when I'll likely be flipping burgers or flipping off lawyers, or some combination of the two!

Michael Barry
Quick Stop Smog & More
Sacramento, California, USA

7 Replies Received (View Replies)