× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Air bag removal -2010 Escape
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 3/7/2017 6 Replies

this is primarily so, I, myself, actually remember how to do this. I only ever see one of every type vehicle airbag it seems, so EVERYthing seems "new" to me.

wheel is turned 90 degrees right, and airbag is already off. Shiny silver spring must be pushed with small screwdriver. SI says use 3mm hex key, but mine are ball ended so they slip. Spring must be pushed at just the right spot or it will cock and not release it's three grip spots (the two hooks, and the spot where the screwdriver pushes). Pictures have captions, if you view the files, instead of just hovering.

[2010 Ford Escape XLS, Safety Photo] [2010 Ford Escape XLS, Safety Photo] [2010 Ford Escape XLS, Safety Photo]

My basic problem with the SI, is that it says "push inward". wtf is inward? Where is outward? groan!

What you must do is forcibly push the screwdriver PARALLEL to the plane of the steering wheel and TOWARD the steering shaft's rotational centerline.

Geoff from Hawaii

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

6 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5L

Engine2.5 L
Trans5-speed Standard

car Vehicle Data

2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5L

Engine2.5 L
Trans5-speed Standard