× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Intermittent battery drain
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 3/3/2015 12 Replies

I had an interesting failure on this Merc Sable. The customer said that every few days her battery would be dead. I did the usual starting and charging system tests and checked for drains. After a half hour or so everything would power down and the drain was under 20ma.

I could not duplicate the problem. The second time I saw the car the customer asked if it could be an issue with her remote start system. It was an aftermarket system that was not working properly. We took a shot and disconnected it. Unfortunately about 6 days later I got the call again. Battery was totally dead. She had it jump started and drove it in.

This time I got lucky. I pulled the car in and left it running to check the charging system. I noticed right away that the A/C pipes were all frosted up. That seemed a little strange since it was only about 15 degrees out. I went inside the car to turn off the hvac and I saw that the switch was already in the off position. I rotated the switch back and forth and the compressor continued to run.

Finally, some much needed clues that helped to locate the intermittent drain. The problem was a damaged A/C compressor clutch relay. The cover was cracked like something heavy was dropped on it. When the cover cracked a small piece broke loose and was jamming the relay contacts. The relay power feed is hot all the time so when it jammed, the A/C clutch would stay energized even with the key off. This would obviously drain the battery pretty quickly. A new relay and all is well.

A/C clutch relay

Robert from Massachusetts

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

12 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2003 Mercury Sable GS 3.0L

Engine3.0 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2003 Mercury Sable GS 3.0L

Engine3.0 L