× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
A TALE OF TWO CLUSTERS by Henry Ford
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 11/29/2013 14 Replies

Recent experiences with Ford Instrument Clusters.

First vehicle, 2010 Flex. Shop technician replaced Cluster with Ford dealer remanufactured unit. Replacement unit was already installed in vehicle when I arrived to program. Using ids with current software, I performed standard PMI from module programming menu. Straight forward programming, no options displayed. Did pats relearn, started vehicle. Immediate indicator lights: B2627 (fuel sender), C1415 (incorrect configuration) and U0102 (lost communication with transfer case module). Not good, FWD vehicle.

I then did the usual routine of reinstalling programming, same results. A call to the dealer verified that part was correct. The PMI was simple and straight forward automatic, no options or choices. There was an update to calibration (not configuration) for the Cluster, which I performed. (New part with out of date calibration.) No change.

Back to module programming menu, four choices including "AS BUILT". Having tried the other three options, I choose AS BUILT. The next screen gave a choice of "manual" or "automatic" programming. I chose manual, which required the customary internet look up, number copying and insertion in as built programming boxes. SUCCESS!, codes no longer present. The "AUTOMATIC PMI" option had lead me down the wrong road. I do not know if the reman cluster had any programming directions; the parts person at the dealership had removed ALL paperwork prior to delivery.

Tale Two, 2004 Focus, replaced with dealer supplied reman cluster. The replacement Cluster installed in vehicle before I arrived. A seemingly straight forward PMI, no options. Program and pats relearn and out the door. Except I now had the ABS light on, but the vehicle had no ABS. No menu option to use AS BUILT on the replacement cluster. OK, try again. The on screen instructions carried the usual procedure to start with original module. Yes, I usually ignore that instruction, do I really want to download info from a corrupted module? Well there was no other choice. Installed the original Cluster, gathered information as instructed on IDS page, replaced remanufactured unit and finished programming, abs light GONE. Once again the dealership parts person had removed all paper work from replacement unit before delivering to shop. Maybe explicit instructions were in the box?

Conclusion, no matter how many Clusters I have installed in 2002 Windstars, I will need to change my procedure to be successful with later models. To change the worst of times into the best of times, the original Cluster should be available to use for PMI if needed.

Michael from New Jersey

14 Replies Received (View Replies)