× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
ABS, Service 4wd, loss of blower motor
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 12/18/2012 4 Replies

I've run into 3 of these with identical problems recently so I'm guessing that there's lots more of these out there. Vehicle came in with "Service 4wd" message, ABS and Brake warning lamps on, and no blower motor operation. all problems occurred at the same time. Service code for ABS was U1041: Loss of communication with Brake system controller. Transfer case code was C0379: Front axle circuit malfunction. When checking fuses it was found that the 4WD fuse, 30 amp blower fuse, and 10 amp Brake fuse didn't have any power at them. A quick check of power distribution showed that they were all powered through the ignition switch via pin G and a large orange wire which goes to a 6 pin connector at the back of the IP fuse panel. When testing this circuit it was found that the orange wire was discolored at the 6 pin connector and was no longer feeding power to the fuse panel. Removing the female terminal from the 6 way connector revealed that there wasn't a good connection between the female end of the orange wire and the male pin at the fuse panel. Cleaning the male pin and re-soldering and tightening up the female connector has fixed all three of these. I think the problem is two-fold. First, it's a lot of power to run through the small spade connector and second, the way the harness runs and is fastened between the steering column to the fuse panel can cause the orange wire to be stretched and strain the 6-pin connector when the column is tilted at just the right angle. Improving the connection so it flows current properly and removing the clip that holds the harness at the stretched out position is the fix. The harness can't go anywhere or get into anything with the push-in clip removed so there's not a concern there. Hope this helps someone else down the road!

Dale from North Dakota

4 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L

Engine5.3 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L

Engine5.3 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)