× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Vortec Fuel pressure regulator Job TIP...Deluxe'
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 5/5/2011 22 Replies

[1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] Next time you do a fuel pressure regulator job on a Vortec

Dan Habluetzel Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:45 PM (5 hrs ago)

... This is a repost to Tech Tips forum from Tech Discussion forum....if Pix don't come out refer to that forum for the Pix......they are impressive (IMNSHO)

... [Fig. 1] see above [Fig. 2] see above [Fig. 3] see above

[Fig. 4] see above

... Recently I was commissioned to repair a flooding condition on a '96 GMC with 4.3 L Vortec and the notorious "Spider" SCFI unit.....I always like to verify the "dribbling" condition of the regulator prior to replacement....so I reattached the fuel pipes and jumped the relay....yup....dribbles......then I noted the "crispy" appearance of the tubes that lead to the "poppitts"....and the melted "rabbitt ears" of the poppitt retainer clips(gone)....so I went a step further and wired my injector "buzz box" to the pins up top and "fired" several injectors and This [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [Fig. 1] is what I saw....and this [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [Fig. 2] ...and this [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [Fig. 3] and also,this [1996 GMC C1500 Sierra SL, Fuel Supply Photo] [Fig. 4] ....so....next time your tech(or YOU) do a FPR job.....take the time to VERIFY the integrity of the TUBES....just takes a few minutes.(charge for it,included in estimated time)..and it could keep ya from having a COME BACK....or if ya have one that "just don't run quite right" ......this "internal fire" happened at an undetermined time in this vehicles past and it could have motored right along until the regulators failure (dribbles) made the hard starting flooding occur...these "sprays" only would happen ONLY AS the injector was told to "buzz" by FRED (Friggin' Rediculous Electronic Device) and robbed the poppitt of it's ability to deliver...but fuel WAS being misted into the airstream so that cylinder WOULD (kinda) get it's intended spritz....but then again....so would ALL the others PLUS their intended spritz(when it's time was due)....this would make them run PIG RICH with no APPARENT reason.....the fire "could" have been from the dribble...probably was...thing is ....MORE damage WAS inflicted that might not be detected WITHOUT this "buzzing" of injectors that I did....next one YOU do.....remember this test and DO IT!! I hope my PIX come out as good as they looked on my phone and computer screen....first time to send PIX for me.

....Dan Habluetzel. ... South Texas...

Dan from Texas

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

22 Replies Received (View Replies)