Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Posted to Technical Theory Forum on 1/7/2015 1 Reply

And I have to agree with Dennis - I got licensed in this line of work , about that time , back then , tried a couple of jobs , local car dealers , people back then around here , had a moderate to not good opinion of mechanics , at the dealers , anyway [we were just a bunch of thieves , who smelled funny , don't ya know , and didn't even wear a mask ] - got tired of that , went to a local Texaco outlet hired on there , got to carry out the big gas price sign every day , and put it away at closing time . When the shortages started , around here , when I had to pick up the gas price sign , and carry it back in , I got called a lot of names far worse than " grease monkey " , as if it was all my fault the prices were going up .The one I'll never forget was the local "expert ", who told us every time he came in for service , that if he wasn't busy . hew would have done the work himself . He hollered at me one day , because his car wouldn't start , " just after I was supposed to have fixed it " , and when I located the source of the problem , he had filled it full of diesel fuel ,he yelled at me again , " It's just a big conspiracy ,you people can make engines to run on both fuels , you're just making it tough for us " working " folks to survive " . It was an interesting time back then .

Roger Rutledge
Technician/Shop Foreman
Green Park Services
Brantford, Ontario, Canada

1 Replies Received (View Replies)