× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Vacuum and compression waveforms
Posted to Technical Theory Forum on 5/31/2014 23 Replies

Well I took a little time to experiment with vacuum and compression waveforms on my personal car. I used a homemade vacuum transducer using radio shack parts, a Pico pressure transducer and a PV-350 for the Verus screen shots. I was wondering if I could tell it the valves needed adjusting or not. So I took a compression waveform and a vacuum waveform while doing different things with the valve adjustment. First I tightened the valve lash to zero on #4 Cylinder exhaust valve. This is what I got: [2000 Honda Accord EX, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]. Notice the pressure spike in the intake when the intake opened and the valve overlap.

I then wondered what it would look like with all the exhaust valves tight. This is What I got: [2000 Honda Accord EX, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]. Notice the 5 volt swing of the Vacuum transducer. Also notice the higher running compression reading of a little over 90 psi. Extra exhaust volume raised the pressures.

I then tightened the intake and exhaust valves to zero lash. This is what I got: [2000 Honda Accord EX, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]. Notice it had about a 5 volt swing of the Vacuum transducer. The engine would barely idle with the valve like that. The running compression was about 90+ PSI.

I then Adjusted the valves to spec. This is what I got: [2000 Honda Accord EX, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]. Notice that the vacuum transducer only had about a 3 volt swing. Running compression was only about 65 psi.

If all the valves are the same out of spec, the only way you will know for certain there is a problem is if you have know good vacuum waveforms. If one valve is bad with adjustment or leaking I think you would be able to see it and with an overlay to determine which cylinder.

I thought it would be great on the Honda V6 engine to see if it needs a valve adjustment when they have misfire codes but they run good in the shop. I can upload the whole file if someone wants to look at it.

Robert from California

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

23 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3L

Engine2.3 L
Trans5-speed Standard

car Vehicle Data

2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3L

Engine2.3 L
Trans5-speed Standard