× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Ignition Coil Current Waveform Oscillations
Posted to Technical Theory Forum on 5/26/2014 14 Replies

Hello fello techs, the vehicle in question here is a 2007 Mercedes B170. The customers complaint was check engine light and low poor up hills. I took the vechile for a test drive and could not feel any misfires, rough running or lack of power. A diagnostic scan relived a P0303 cylinder 3 misfire in pending codes through OBD2 protocol. The ignition coil is a 3 wire what looks like a waste spark system 1 power supply, 1 ground and 1 sqaure wave trigger. I dont have a coil wand thing for my pico, so i deciede to scope the current waveforms. First i scoped the coil for cylinders 1 and 2 [coil current cylinder 1 and 2] and compared it to the coil for cylinders 3 and 4 [ignition coil cylinder 3 and 4 old]. Amperage looks good on both waveforms the only difference i see is the oscillatons at the turn off point could anybody explain to why there is oscillation there and what the mean. I had a spare coil for one of these motor of a 2005 A140 so i tryed it and this is what i got [ignition coil cylinder 3 and 4 new] the oscillation are now smaller ???

Michael Haimes
Technician
Home Tune
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

14 Replies Received (View Replies)