× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Parastic draw testing
Posted to Technical Theory Forum on 12/5/2012 60 Replies

This post is in reference to a reply I made yesterday here http://members.iatn.net/forums/read/msg.aspx?f=forum2&m=332053&fv=0&ar=0

05 Dodge Caravan parasitic draw testing. I usually use my Vantage Pro on graphing multimeter mode to check a draw on a system, in my experience it paints a much wider picture of what is actually going on, and otherwise would be missed by the Fluke 87. Here is how I connected to this vehicle for testing [Parasitic draw testing]

I had mentioned in the reply it was about a 50% duty cycle, that is incorrect, it was late and I wasn't looking at the data at the time. I tried to get a reading on the duty cycle but couldn't figure it out, anyone know how to do this in amp mode on the vantage pro? I could figure it out math wise, just busy at the moment, and it is irrelevant at this point anyhow.

I checked draw with the Vantage pro in graphing mode [2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, BATT/Charging/Starting Waveform] see how it says 17mA, but then shows a rapid on off of amperage, on the upper left you can see it maxes out at 110 mA, this will drain a battery in just a few days. Here it is again with scope mode, [2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, BATT/Charging/Starting Waveform] . Here it is again with multimeter mode, [2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] still shows 17mA with a peak of 110mA.

Here it is now with the Fluke 87 [2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] shows 9.73 mA and I put it on min max, no real change, never went over 11mA.

I assume every tech on iATN would pass a 11mA reading I know I would. But without using a graphing multimeter you are only seeing a part of the story and not the part you need to see.

Jeremy from Kansas

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

60 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L

Engine3.3 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L

Engine3.3 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)