× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Flood and salvage cars
Posted to Open Discussion Forum on 9/2/2017 1 Reply


The rules for bidding on vehicles at an auction like Copart vary from state to state. I purchased two salvage trikes thru Copart. Both were out of state (Texas) those states required a licensed dealer that was registered with Copart to be bid on.

In Texas if the Vehicle is a regular title the buyer is required to have a dealer license. Now if one wanted to bid on a Salvage (Branded) title vehicle any person can bid no dealer requirement. The same goes for a vehicle that is branded for say destruction only (can sell as parted out only)

Copart does have a list of states with bid requirements for each type of title

Actually I purchased one of those trikes just over 4 months after it was first sold by HD with only 12 actual miles for 1/3 what a new one would cost. (I think the first test ride did not go as planned) Replaced headlight and some other front chrome tins. Also needed to fix and repaint scarred rear fender.

If I was younger I would buy lightly damaged HD Motorcycles cheap and fix them up and resell. Most of those MC on Copart are auctioned because MC dealers do not have body shops to fix bikes like what the automotive side does. So their is everything from complete totals to many with minor to limited damage that the insurance companies get rid of at auction.

Sorry got off track and about each state has different bid rules. Just Saying

Robert Harris
Technician/Technical Information Specialist (Retired)
Robert Harris
Alvarado, Texas, USA

1 Replies Received (View Replies)