× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Repair Rant: A Proper Reply For a Repair
Posted to Open Discussion Forum on 2/14/2017 18 Replies

Ok today I replied to a tech needing help and one of the replys that was posted before mine was kind of a rant on repair Protocol. So I join in and put my 2 cents in on it as what a proper reply should be . I use iatn as a last resort in trying to repair my customer vehicle in a proper manner . So when I see or have a reply to just replace said part to make my life easy I will dismiss this as a repair option until i can properly inform my customer of what is needed. Now the techs that are posting (just replace it with a used one or a new part ) are of no help to me i could just do that with every car that comes in the door but these tech still post it and revive a good standing within iatn. I know some times it is more cost efficient for the shop just to replace a part but this in it self cause some issues. I feel it should be left up to the customer on how he wants to spend his money on his repairs example I have a car with the tcc locking up at idle (100k car) do i just tell the customer to A: replace with a used trans because it is the easy way B: have his rebuilt because it carry the best warranty C: find the core problem and possibly just replace a tcc solenoid and stand behind my shops work (because i have professional techs working for me) so this leads me back to what is a proper reply for a repair in ( tech help )

Scott Warren
Technician/Manager
Universal Cable Construction Inc.
West Chicago, Illinois, USA

18 Replies Received (View Replies)