Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
CPR, if you don't know how, PLEASE learn!
Posted to Open Discussion Forum on 2/21/2016 22 Replies

Timely CPR is the only reason I am alive today after sudden cardiac arrest a year ago October. Now I am leading group bike rides, maybe not the very fastest and longest but I am in pretty good shape for the shape I am in. :} Another Austin area cyclist does centuries after a heart attack about 4 years ago. He is only with us because the second car on the scene when he went down on a group ride was a nurse on her way to work who administered CPR until the meat wagon arrived.

I am sponsoring a CPR class in April for any and all in the Austin cyclist community and my employees.

The average survival rate for sudden cardiac arrest, (a little different than a "heart attack" and gives little or no warning) is 6% Not too good! Once your heart has shut down suddenly, the ONLY thing that will restart it is a defibrillator. But CPR buys time against otherwise inevitable and rapid death of heart muscle and brain cells. With immediate bystander CPR the odds are significantly better than 6%.

There are cheap online courses, but I am going to have an actual instructor bring dummies etc.

You can be active, fit, not very overweight and still s**t happens.

---Time is of the essence if the heart stops! Get started ASAP

---So you crack a rib or two by pushing too hard. That's common and a small price to pay.

---Mouth-to-mouth is obsolete.

---If you don't quite know what your doing, do it anyway! Inaction = death, 911 operator should be able to coach you.

---If it doesn't go well, you are protected against lawsuit by "good samaritan laws."

Thanks for reading and acting upon this!

Don in Austin

Donald Lewis
Don's Automotive
Austin, Texas, USA

22 Replies Received (View Replies)