× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Contaminated refrigerant - new R1234yf Machine
Posted to HVAC Forum on 1/20/2021 9 Replies

We recently purchased a Robinair R1234yf machine and started doing services with it. One of our local body shops has been sending us business and we got a 2015 Grand Cherokee from them to do a service on. We started doing the service and then the machine said the refrigerant failed the purity test. The report it printed was 96.4% R1234yf & 3.6% R134a - then the process shut down and wanted us to dispose of the contaminated refrigerant with another machine and disposal container that's only another $1,300. We called the guy that services our AC machines and he said to bring it to, he's run into this before. He'll flush it out, dispose of the refrigerant, and make sure the sensor is ok. I later found out this vehicle actually belongs to the shop manager of one our local trans rebuilders that we've done business with for decades when he called me trying to find out what was going on with his car after I sent it back to the body shop saying no can do. He said this is his wife's car, they've owned it since it's had 8,000 miles and it's never had any AC work that he knows of. So, my questions are - Is my machine being ultra sensitive and lying to me? - Do I ignore really low percentages like the 3.6% I saw, is there a certain percentage level or type of contamination where this really becomes an issue, or do I just send it to the repair guy every time? - Has anyone been dealing with this contamination issue as well and have some insight? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ted Archer
Owner/Shop Foreman
Archer's Auto Care Inc.
Memphis, Tennessee, USA

9 Replies Received (View Replies)