× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Annoying Acrobat Reader default settings
Posted to PC Users Forum on 2/15/2018 10 Replies

Are you as aggravated as I was when using Adobe Acrobat Reader? Two things in particular used to drive me up a wall...

Every time I went to open a document I saw the toolbar on the right (which I never used). It took up space and caused the images / typed content to be smaller than I desired. I would click the little arrow and force it off the screen and it would disappear... Arrrrgh! In addition, every time I'd try to scroll down a page, it would JUMP to the next page until I clicked VIEW> PAGE DISPLAY> ENABLE SCROLLING. Arrrrgh (again). Then I was OK, until the next time I went to use Reader.

Well I found the solutions to both problems and they are very easy to do! No, you don't need to be a computer programmer or manually adjust the Windows Registry keys. Both are settings found in the EDIT> PREFERENCES drop-down menu.

Open an Adobe document (ends with .pdf).

For the 1st problem, click the arrow to close the "Tools Pane". Then click EDIT> PREFERENCES and choose "Documents" in the "Categories" column (if it isn't already highlighted). Place a check mark in the box under "Open Settings" that says "Remember Current State of Tools Pane". Click "OK" at the bottom. From now on your documents should open without the "Tool Pane" on the right!

One more thing I did (to help my poor eyesight) was choose "Page Display" in the "Categories" column (if it isn't already highlighted). Then on the right, under "Default Layout and Zoom", from the "Zoom" drop-down menu select "Fit Width". Now, in addition to not having a "Tools Pane" on the right, the page fits the width of my screen - every time.

The scrolling problem is fixed by clicking EDIT> PREFERENCES and choose "Accessibility" in the "Categories" column (if it isn't already highlighted). Then place a check mark in the box under "Override Page Display" for "Always Use Page Layout Style" and choose "Single Page Continuous" from the drop-down menu. Now click "OK" at the bottom and never be aggravated by the page jumping when scrolled again!

You're welcome ;-)

Jaime from Florida

10 Replies Received (View Replies)