× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
5.4L VVT follow up
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 11/25/2010 4 Replies

Just a follow up to a post from last week. This is my first with photos; sorry, got carried away. I had asked about what you were seeing for phaser failure, a set degree error or erratic readings. We could quickly see that bank 2 was 17.5* out. After the covers were removed, we could easily see the problem. [2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, Engine/Propulsion Photo] good. [2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, Engine/Propulsion Photo] bad. With removal of the timing components, we also found the locator pin on the back of the failed phaser had sheared damaging the cam as well. [2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, Engine/Propulsion Photo] . The rivets that hold the phaser pieces together were also broken allowing the timing difference. [2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, Engine/Propulsion Photo] Just incase you have not the chance to do one of these, the chain tensioners should also be replaced as the seal behind them tends to fail. [2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, Engine/Propulsion Photo] After getting everything back together, I did notice that the VCTADV & VCTADVERR pids were rock steady, unlike the 05 F-150 we had in while this job was under way. My thoughts are this may be a good way to see the amoount of stretch in the chains/ leakage of the tensioners.

I have screen shots from the IDS as well, but can't figure out how to upload them as the file size is too big. One shows cam error at around 720* with another icon I have not seen before on that line.

Hope this info may help someone other than me. Sure makes you appreciate how much work those instructors put into getting classes set up.

Mike

Mike from Ontario

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

4 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Engine5.4 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Engine5.4 L