× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Ford Readiness Issue
Posted to Emissions Forum on 8/21/2017 34 Replies

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting CAT, O2 and O2 Heater monitors to run on this 4.0 V-6 Mustang. It is completely stock, not so much as an aftermarket air filter. 2 years ago it passed IEPA emissions testing with all monitors ready. Now it is a chronic reject.

I have tried the TechHelp route, and although I got 7 replies, it has fizzled. TechHelp seems to work well for a day or two and is revived by an update and then that's all you get. So here I am hoping for some advice.

Here's the link to the TechHelp:

http://members.iatn.net/techmail/view/index.aspx?origin=14&d=1&de=1&k=&m=22813&t=ford_drive#reply_anchor

So, here is what I know so far.

1) Fuel trims are optimal at all RPM ranges ( STFT & LTFT -or+3% rarely getting much higher, sometimes a total of 7% usually during RPM transitions . 2) Graphing O2S data I found an issue with the B1S1 O2S:

[2005 Ford Mustang, Emissions Scan Data] I replaced both B1S1 & B2S1 with new Motorcraft O2 sensors, did not help!

3) Mode$06 has zero values for all Cat and O2 tests, meaning the PCM isn't testing after all this time:

[2005 Ford Mustang, Emissions Scan Data]

4) No misfire found in scan data or Mode$06:

5) No codes found, ever. Even so, have cleared codes a few times hoping to kick start the readiness monitors. 6) Found that the PCM has updated software available, re-flashed it, no help:

[2005 Ford Mustang, Emissions Scan Data];detailed=1&t=visible&i=1&sr=12&sb=%5 Btimestamp%5D%20DESC&s=1&rb=

[2005 Ford Mustang, Emissions Scan Data];detailed=1&t=visible&i=1&sr=12&sb=%5 Btimestamp%5D%20DESC&s=1&rb=

7) Followed these instructions on IDS to set readiness, several times:

http://members.iatn.net/file/viewfile.cgi? id=94738&detailed=1&t=visible&i=1&sr=12& sb=%5Btimestamp%5D%20DESC&s=1&rb=

9) In OBD Mode$01 data, the enable PIDs for CAT, O2, O2 Heater are always a "NO" value. One exception. KOEO, the CAT will read "YES" until the engine starts and quickly reverts to "NO":

10) Cat temp seems to rise as high as 1400 F and usually hangs around 1200 F:

11) The one problem that may have some weight is the FLI. The Fuel Level Indicator will read a maximum of 53% even with a full tank. This vehicle has a dual pump system with two fuel senders. There is a TSB from Ford on this.

I would gladly sell the repairs to the customer, if I knew that was the issue. I think FLI is not the issue because EVAP runs consistently. Also, regardless of what's actually in the tank the FLI should be enough to set readiness.

I will sell it to the customer as soon as I can prove FLI is the issue. It is a somewhat expensive repair.

I will add more as I go, I hope to hear from my friends out there and start to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Bob Haines
Owner/Technician
Bob's Garage
Waukegan, Illinois, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

34 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Ford Mustang 4.0L

Engine4.0 L
Trans5-speed Automatic (Electronic)