× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
One More ASE thought
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 5/1/2017 74 Replies

Just one more thought about ASE, testing times, testing locations.

According the the BLS, there were 740,000 automotive technicians/mechanics in 2014. So, there's probably 750,000 or so now.

According to ASE, there are 213,000 ASE certified technicians, only 74,304 who are Master automobile technicians.

So, 10% of the technicians in the US have achieved ASE master status. Less than 1/3 are ASE certified at all.

If more technicians were to become certified, even if we just made it up to a little over half, that would greatly increase the demand for ASE testing, provide ASE with more revenue and (I'm guessing here, but it's probably a good guess) result in more testing locations and times. I'm sure it costs quite a bit of money to put on those tests, and if they rent a room, they have to pay the same amount for that room if there is 5 people in it or 50.

So... my point is... there is only one group of people that can change the way ASE does things, and that is us, the professional technicians. Complaining about what ASE is or isn't won't really change anything, but if we get more and more technicians to become part of ASE, then change can occur. Otherwise, it's just griping.

I feel funny writing this post, because I've been one of those who has griped about ASE and their relevance quite a bit. I'm still not completely sold on their benefit to a shop owner, but I do believe they are the best that we have right now, and it's better to work with them and try to make things better than it is to just complain.

Just my .02 on a Monday morning while I'm waiting for my 8:00 am appointment to show up that is already 30 minutes late.....

Nathan from Colorado

74 Replies Received (View Replies)