× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Dealing with obsolete parts
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 10/23/2015 98 Replies

I have a Cadillac Allante that got towed to me with an abs problem, and hard brake pedal, that had just left the dealer after $3,000 to repair driveability issues, and they told him that they could not fix the abs system. I investigate how the system works, and find that the abs pump is running, but not pumping. I call around, and it's used, or one NOS on ebay for $695. Cardone used to rebuild it, but quit about ten years ago.

I called him up, and got the ok to open it up, and investigate.There are four small round pieces of plastic that act as check valves inside, and I machined a new one out of aluminum. I then found several plugged passages. Cleaned it out completely, and reassembled with new orings, and this pump now runs like new.

As these vehicles get older, and parts start to become scarce, I think most of us are going to have to get into the fabrication business. I have a good sized Logan lathe, and I use it almost on a daily basis.

Sean from Arizona

98 Replies Received (View Replies)