× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Act Like You've Been There Before
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 7/24/2012 70 Replies

The young athlete scored a touchdown in a collegiate game. He immediately launched a shameless display of self-centered celebration regarding his own success in the end zone, demonstrating a distinct lack of class.

The coach pulled him aside after he'd high-stepped off the field and said, "Act like you've been there before".

The young man lacked the perspective of success and he had been totally immersed in himself. The outcome of every play, when it's drawn up, is to score. If every player does the job they are supposed to do, that's how it happens. It's teamwork.

A "natural, organic" grocery store had spent a lot of money to send out glossy, color mailers, offering a pound of organically grown beef for free with the coupon. This store's market was not the homes in the neighborhood, it was the entire city. I got one of these coupons in the mail and stuck it in my purse. The store was out of my area, but I was very curious about the beef and had been intending to try some. I finally got to the store, took the beef to the checkout and discovered that my coupon had expired literally 2 days before. It was the first thing the clerk pointed out---"This is expired!" she sternly proclaimed.

I don't wish to get into the free stuff discussion or even the discounting discussion. The issue is, the store spent money, she ticked off a customer because of poor perspective--either hers, the store's or lack of training in how to handle the recently expired coupons situation. (Hint: never spend money to make a customer mad--you can make them mad for free).

How many times do we see posts here lamenting the lack of respect we get from the public? Do we act like we deserve it? Do we maintain the perspective to understand how each of our own actions weaves the fabric of respect and success, both for us and our employers?

How can a supervisor of workers disrespect a worker through words or actions and possibly expect respect in return? How can a team member expect to be respected themselves if they don't follow simple rules of teamwork?

It is amazing to me to read thoughts expressed here about how being and acting like "being the all-important center of the universe" is all that should be expected of any of us. If we simply do our jobs, that should be enough. Never mind that we don't respect others, they should still respect us.

If any of us expect this trade of ours to earn respect in our communities, we must start by acting like we've been there before and are respected every day. Respectful people act like they are not only respected themselves, but they respect others, as well.

One of the true measures of character is how we treat others who can never do a thing for us in return.

Becky from Nebraska

70 Replies Received (View Replies)