× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: What to do about car counts
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 6/19/2012

Good post, Becky. However, I think there are a couple of nuances that should be considered.

[...trimmed text...]

Yes.

[...trimmed text...]

Almost certainly another yes.

[...trimmed text...]

Depends on how the shop handles it and the depth of the relationship. If we agree that "A's" are typically "happy and well-adjusted" as you put, they know that everyone will have an "oops" moment on occasion. Just don't let it happen too often! :o)

[...trimmed text...]

Is it true that they "generally make good money?" Like most things, there are probably some that do, but I know (and have known) many "A" level customers who do not make "good money," at least by what most people consider "good money." However, you can't tell because they're content living within their means. They're not in hock up to their eyebrows. They actually do things like save and budget, even for car care (imagine that).

I realize that I'm digressing from the point a bit here, but I want to say this... the problem with a lot of people today (financially speaking) isn't that they don't make enough money, it's that they have no discipline when it comes to spending the money that they have. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for prosperity. But you can always spend more than you have, no matter how much you have, and that's the problem!

[...trimmed text...]

Because keeping a well-maintained vehicle is a priority, they may pay more attention to this than other customer types, however, they're no different from everyone else in that they have a lot on their minds. What I'm driving at here is that "A's" in particular will appreciate a shop that will do the thinking and the planning about what's needed and when, and notify them when it's time to come in. Additionally, the "A's" value relationships and will value regular contact - Facebook, emails, newsletters, and other direct mail, in so much as this regular contact is informative, useful, and enhances their overall automotive ownership experience.

Again, good post, Becky.

Take Care,

Mark Hambaum
Educator/Instructor/Consultant
MDH Automotive Services
Richville, Michigan, USA