Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Charger fuel gauge
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 7/9/2015 2 Replies

No start, no fuel pressure, fuel gauge reads a quarter tank but there is no gas in the tank. The cluster fuel gauge works properly using the scanner function test.

The tank is under the rear seat and the fuel pump with a fuel sending unit is in the driver's side. There is another fuel sending unit in the right side of the tank.

The right side fuel sending unit reads 6v in the Instrument Cluster scan data and 3.5v in the left fuel sending unit.

The left sending unit ohms properly from about 20 ohms to near 1,000 ohms.

The right sending unit connector unplugged reads 12.4v but the left side reads only 11.7v.

I measured about 11.5ma across the right side harness connector pins and about 7ma across the left side harness connector pins.

I accessed the harness near the driver's seat and I removed the cluster.

I cut the 2 blue with white tracer sending unit wires near the driver's seat and ohmed the wires from there to the cluster connector pins.

The right sending unit wire read 1 ohm but the left side read 7.5 ohms.

The wiring harness leads to a large connector under the dash and when I disconnected and reconnected the connector, both circuits had 1 ohm resistance.

Reconnecting all wires and connectors, the fuel gauge read empty and both sending units read 6v.

I could not see any corrosion in the large connector pins so i slightly twisted the the 2 male pins.

Ray Yergeau
Jerry's AutoMedic
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

2 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2006 Dodge Charger 2.7L

Engine2.7 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)