× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Toyota P0606 - Don't replace the ECM
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 5/1/2015 53 Replies

The iATN archives helped me on this car so I wanted to contribute back and hope someone else finds this helpful.

The complaint was the MIL on. The first time I saw this car was from a referral by my local trans shop. They asked me to flash the tcm per toyota bulletin for a shifting issue. The flash went fine, now it's a month later and the Mil is on.

I pull code P0606. Description is ECM/PCM processor. A discrepancy in voltage levels between the main cpu and the sub cpu. The code chart is very short for this code, it says, If you have code P0606 go to step A. Step A says to replace ECM.

Ok, I've been doing this long enough to know that I better not replace the ECM just like that without doing some research and testing. Since this is my first time with this particular code I decide some iATN research is in order.

I come across this post in the techhelp archive http://members.iatn.net/techmail/view/index.aspx?m=19828&t=asian_drive

Ok, now I have something to go on. It seems that problems with the O2 sensors can cause this code to set. I set my scanner to graph the rear O2's. With the car running I start wiggling and tugging on the sensor wires. When I move the wire just right on B2S2 this happens rear o2 glitch

I replaced the sensor and cleared the code. It's been several days since returning the car and all is good.

This is the value of iATN and collaborating in general. I shudder to think about how this job could have gone if I had no access to any further information than what was in the Factory trouble code chart.

The information I found was more than a silver bullet. It informed me of other possibilities I was unaware of and it gave me something to test so I could prove out the problem for myself.

The conclusion is that I was able to fix a potential nightmare problem in a very short time and I learned some valuable information that may help me another day when there is no other help to be found. A win win as the saying goes.

Robert from Massachusetts

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

53 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2007 Toyota Camry LE 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans5-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2007 Toyota Camry LE 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans5-speed Automatic (Electronic)