× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Timing marks off
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 4/14/2015 20 Replies

Im sure this has been posted before but I wanted to share because every shop I share this tip with thinks its genius. I figured this out in desperation one friday when I rushed a 2.4 dohc chrysler timing belt job . I got it done and found out real quick that I had it 2 teeth off. I removed the top timing cover and verified with a tdc indicator which cam was off. I figured out that if I put the smooth end of a 1/4" drill bit in the teeth and slowly turned the engine over, I could make the belt jump a tooth. This saved me several hours of time and I have since shared it with others who have had great luck trying it. Basically you install the drill on the side that you need the cam sprocket to move to. So to advance it you put it on the right side of the sprocket and turn the engine over counter clockwise and grab the drill bit before it falls down in behind the lower cover. Hope this tip saves someone some trouble.

Robert from Delaware

20 Replies Received (View Replies)