× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Toyota Tacoma wheel hub removal and installation
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 8/23/2012 24 Replies

This is an alternate way to remove the hub from the wheel bearing. It allows the job to be done with the shop press instead of putting the entire spindle in a vice and using a puller set-up to pull the hub out of the bearing.

This is the hub and bearing attatched to the spindle-brakes removed:

[2006 Toyota Tacoma, Photo]

At this point,I remove the axle nut and the 4 bolts,and remove the hub just like any other FWD hub assy.,except that the bolts will be captured. They are too long to be removed,and there is no opening in the hub to remove them. I do this with the spindle still on the vehicle so it will be held securely.You will end up with this:

It would be easy to press this apart like any other hub,but the bolts are captured,and a press plate that will hold up to this job is just too thick. The first time I did this,I was stuck here for about 20 minutes,tried making some thinner press plates(they bent),and just wished those bolts weren't in the way.Then I realized I could cut 2 of them off,press the hub out,and replace the 2 bolts......but I didn't have any that size. Then it dawned on me-the housing comes with the bearing-I can cut the housing out of the way to free the bolts. Five minutes with a whizz-wheel,and I had this:

Now it fit in the press:

With the old bearing half removed from the hub and a new outer seal installed,it reassembles just like any other hub-just don't forget to put the bolts back in the hub first!

The video shows the method of pulling the hub out with a puller.Not having a hub grappler or a coworker to smack it with,the method above works great for me. Being able to use the press to push the hub out reduces the chanced of damaging it,and pressing it nice and straight seems to make it go very easy. I think the hub grappler method only makes the hubs feel like they are siezed because they dont always pull straight. (?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZDd-34K5Epc

Ken from Maine

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

24 Replies Received (View Replies)