× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
05 Jeep Liberty 4 Wheel Drive Steering Rack
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 6/23/2011 7 Replies

This 4 wheel drive Jeep Liberty came in with a leaking power steering rack. When replacing the steering rack on a 4 wheel drive you are supposed to remove the front differential. I looked it over and decided I would rather not spend 6 hours replacing the rack.

After a brief inspection I thought it would be easier to remove it out the front instead.

I started by disconnecting the sway bar links and removing the sway bar. I removed the front differential mount and oil filter drain gutter. Then I removed the rear differential mounts and lowered the rear of the front differential. Disconnect the power steering lines at the rack. Disconnected the steering column and both tie rod ends. Then I rotated the top of the rack towards the front of the vehicle. Then turn the rack input shaft all the way to the right to shorten the left tie rod as much as possible. This will extend the right inner tie rod as much as possible. Now you can pull the left inner tie rod up and around to clear the left frame rail. Continue rotating the rack around while moving it forward and out. The new rack gets installed in the reverse of the removal. Slide the new rack in place. Turn it all the way to the right extending the right tie rod out through the right frame rail. This will shorten the left tie rod as much as possible. Move the rack as far to the right as possible. Rotate the input shaft of the steering rack up and around to get it in position. This will allow you to move the left inner tie rod up and around the left frame rail to get it in position just ahead of the front differential pumpkin. Finish the installation by bolting the rack in place, attaching the lines and steering shaft. Raise the rear of the front differential up and install the rear mount bolts. Install the front sway bar and connect the sway bar links. Install and connect the outer tie rods and align the front end. Fill the power steering system and test drive the vehicle.

Total time from start to finish was 2.5 hours including setting the toe and the test drive.

Eric from Wisconsin

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

7 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L

Engine3.7 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L

Engine3.7 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)