× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Ford 6.0L ICP testing
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 6/15/2011 5 Replies

I was working on a 2007 F-350 6.0L today with an extended crank when hot and low ICP pressure under full load. I performed the regular ICP tests including air pressure test, dead heading the pump, checking engine oil pressure and examining the IPR valve. During my diagnosis I came across another option for testing the ICP system.

I know many shops are now using nitrogen at high pressures (up to 2000psi I've heard) to find leaks in the HP oil system. I do not have this option at this time but I notice if I command the IPR to 85% and then crank the engine with the FICM relay out to prevent it from starting the computer will only allow 44% duty cycle max. This equates to around 1,600psi but when you stop cranking the duty cycle with return to 85% which will not hold the pressure but will maintain over 500 psi for a few minutes.

This test can be performed immediately on a hot engine without any disassemble and may be useful for determining if the system has a leak with high pressure than shop air.

Ryan from British Columbia

5 Replies Received (View Replies)