× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Cherokee cluster solder joints
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 2/20/2010 6 Replies

Another shop brought me this Jeep complaining the CEL came on at each start cycle, the odometer kept saying "no bus", and it had a misfire. The codes were P0700, P1694, & P0303. That was just the ones coming back after erasing. The other original codes were P0432, P0320, P1687, & P1698. After exhausting the forums, I decided to pull the cluster just to check. Sure enough, some of the solder joints at both plugs were cracked. I kind of expected it to be a futile effort, but it looks like it paid off. I took the cluster home with me last night and resoldered all 20 pins. Today, the odometer states the mileage (207K+),no CEL, no codes, no problems. Even the misfire is gone. I can't really explain that, but it's gone nevertheless. I guess since the Caravan and associated ones have that problem, it can be somewhat concluded that all Chrysler products of that era are susceptible to the same thing. The joints weren't cracked as bad as some I've seen. It took a closer visual inspection to see some of them. It doesn't take much to kill a bussed line, though. I just finished one drive cycle and no problems yet. ;) Time (and another drive) will tell. Hope this helps someone.

Gene from Texas

6 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L

Engine4.0 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L

Engine4.0 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)