× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2005-2007 Uplander, SV6, Relay, Terraza PSD
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 10/7/2006 11 Replies

I ran into this the other day and thought it would be helpful.

I had an 05 Chevy Uplander van with dual Power Sliding Doors (PSD). The complaint I will deal with here is "When closing the Passenger side door, the motor labors for a while then pops back out."

A quick check of both power doors for operation showed that the left side door acted normally, the motor pulling the door closed to just past the fully latched position, then stopping and going back to the proper latch position. The right side door would pull closed, and continue pulling the door inwards for a few seconds past the latch condition, the motor would time-out and the door would pop back out. This is the same thing as a motor-run-on condition.

I checked for DTC's, none were shown, both doors had been learned (according to scan data) and this problem had attempted repairs at another place, including a reflash which addresses a different concern. I took a look at scan data for both doors to see if there was anything in there of value, I did find there was...once I understood exactly what is going on here, I knew how to fix it. The Left Power Sliding Door data "PSD Detent Switch" PID would clearly show two detent switches consistantly during the latching of the door while the right side sometimes would only flicker a second switched position.

Service information in description and operation only mentions the detent switch is used for determining the proper latched position. I deduced, and later confirmed that it needs to see 2 detent switch changes of state to know when to back off and center the latch. The rear of the door has a latch that activates a detent switch just before and just after the latched position. The PSDM looks for the first on state, an off state, then the second on state, then it allows the door to fall back to the off state, that being the proper latched position. The detent switch goes through the plunger contacts at the front of the door, as such there will be some plunger bouncing so the PSDM's filter out some of that and look for clear changes of state.

Here are some captures to follow along:

Here is the left side door, which was working properly. Note it rolls it past the first on state, into the off state, then into the next on state, lets off and the door reverses by turning the motor into the idle state and commanding the motor clutch inactive, letting the door back up into the latch.

here is the right side door before repair. Note it rolls quickly past the two detent states, the motor continues to run well past the latched position until it gives up then turns the motor to idle and deactivates the motor clutch, allowing the door to pop back out to the latch.

There was a PI for these doors that referred to a know-how video that was broadcast. It covered much of what is already available in service information regarding adjustment procedures and actuator replacements. They also reinforced the importance of making sure the door rolls, opens, and closes as easily as possible. But they also briefly mentioned that if the door closes too easily, then it could cause a run-on condition. This is exactly what was going on with this vehicle. After adjusting the rear striker to achieve proper body fitment and still having the concern, I proceded to pull the door in at the top of the front of the door using the upper roller bracket where it bolts to the door (which is adjustable with those two bolts). Note, you will need to remove the PSD fuse from the IP fuse panel to do work on these doors. The doors will feel and operate like a normal door with this fuse out and will give you a good idea of how the rolling, opening, and closing feels. I adjusted that upper bracket until I found a good compromise between feel and fit. After the adjustment, I closed the door and reinstalled the PSD fuse. I then used the key fob to open and close both doors twice to relearn the motor positions. Scan data confirms the learn with a switch from a no to a yes. I also noted the problem was now resolved.

Here is the capture I took from the RPSDM after the repair.. Note the door is slowed down in the latching portion, this is due to increased contact with the door seals. This allows the PSDM to properly recognize the detent switches, allowing it to make the proper determination of the latched position.

Here is a side-by-side-by-side of the portions of interest in the three captures. These are exactly the same amount of time side by side by side. You can clearly see the difference in the three situations.

Rags

Matthew from Wyoming

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

11 Replies Received (View Replies)