× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Using Running Cylinder Waveform to Analyze Cam/Crk Deviation
Posted to Technical Theory Forum on 6/12/2015 14 Replies

Another shop presented us this car with a P0016 - CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT. The misalignment PID indicated something around 40 degrees. They changed CMP and CRP (don't ask me what hard evidence lead them to do that) to no avail. Car would run (not well but mobile) when cold then progressively weaken and die. Would restart no problem; run weakly and then die after a bit. When it is dying gas richness is evident (plugs black with soot - not hard carbon).

Car is a used car dealer's - fresh from auction - towed to prime shop - no owner (driver) to ask when, where, what; that is we haven't any insight to repair/driveability history.

Prime shop wanted us to determine if this car had a tone wheel problem or a cam/crank drive belt problem. They did not want to go all invasive on the car before we had a crack at diagnosis using our non-invasive methods.

We decided to go right to a running cylinder waveform analysis via our Fluke PV350. The premise was if the crank flex plate tone wheel was the culprit the valve timing would be OK in the waveform but if the timing belt system was awry then the waveform would physically confirm what the PID was indicating via electronics.

The results we gave to the prime shop is attached [2004 Chrysler Pacifica, Engine/Propulsion Document]. They are now waiting for the used car dealer to authorize the timing belt repairs (that may go beyond a mere belt replace once they get in there).

Any of your comments or questions are welcome. Best regards and I high-five iATN and its members!

Anthony from New York

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

14 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)