× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
More Than One Way Find That Misfire
Posted to Technical Theory Forum on 9/29/2014 32 Replies

Good Evening Fellas (and Ladies)..

Last-week, I was presented with a 2001 ACURA INTEGRA DOHC 1.8L (B18C1) exhibiting an intermittent misfire. The customer told me, the misfire is more noticeable during a steady-state cruise/70mph, although I can feel the misfire right in the workshop, but very infrequently. Surprisingly, "snap-throttle/brake-torquing" could not flush-out an ignition-misfire so out came the FLS/lab scope.

The 2 traces revealed a misfire intermittently occurring on cylinder #4, as seen in this trace.

[2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]

I switched to an ignition-scope because it was the next logical/easy general-test to help guide me down a diagnostic-path. A "paraded" acquisition quickly revealed some secondary-leakage on #4.

[2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Ignition Waveform]

So an inspection of the "fairly-new" ignition cable was conducted. Nothing stood-out as a potential leak-point for a spark-deviation so the plug was removed as well.

The #4 spark plug was fairly oil-fouled. As a result, the porcelain insulator had cracked and allowed the spark to short intermittently (very-surprising, given the excess KV-DEMAND of the snap-throttle/ brake-torquing couldn't reveal the problem initially...his complaint was at a steady-cruise!!!). I was informed by the owner that he was aware of the oil-consumption and he planned to have the valve-guide seals replaced soon. A new set of plugs was fitted and the vehicle ran flawlessly. The car was returned to the owner and he experienced no more issues....for 2-weeks...

The vehicle returned today with a more steady-misfire at idle, although not as bad at higher RPM. A vacuum gauge revealed a slightly bouncing-needle. Again, the ignition-patterns were analyzed and #4 revealed an issue, however nothing like it did before! The ignition pattern appeared to have a very turbulent burn-line and when paraded, #4 Firing voltage was far-less amplitude then the remaining cylinders.....ugh-ohh.....this feels as though we are heading towards a mechanical-issue!( see the ignition-patterns below)

[2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Ignition Waveform] [2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Ignition Waveform] [2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Ignition Waveform]

I interfaced the vehicle, first with : *CH1(YELLOW)- #1 IGNITION-SYNC *CH2(GREEN)- FLS ON THE INTAKE MANIFOLD *CH3-(BLUE)- RELATIVE-COMPRESSION The engine was cranked and the info was captured. The waveforms were exhibiting an obvious compression-loss on cylinder #4. There was definitely a disturbance evident in the intake-trace. Rather than analyze the capture, I chose to simply move the FLS from the intake-manifold to the tailpipe. A very-evident issue was present in the exhaust stream as well. I uploaded the waveforms to PC so I could apply an overlay and begin to put all of the puzzle pieces together. ...SEE THE ATTACHED BELOW!

[2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Engine/Propulsion Waveform] [2001 Acura Integra GS-R, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]

There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat. Ive learned this from Greats like Albin Moore...As he says, he is always looking to put "THREE ARROWS IN THE TARGET". I realize that the diagnostic-path I chose with this vehicle was not necessary to draw a conclusion but I more-so wanted to demonstrate multiple-tests that backed-up my data to help me put the diagnostic-puzzle together. The more I use what I have learned from others in regards to ignition/pressure/vacuum-waveform testing, I can feel myself becoming more confident in my diagnosis'. The connection between the results of my testing and engine-dynamics is also far less of a gap. With a bit more practice, I can see these techniques becoming replacements for the more traditional testing that has served me well for years. As always I welcome all questions/comments/criticism...every opportunity for anyone to learn is what Im trying to generate with my posts...Thanks Fellas! -BRANDON-

Brandon from Indiana

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

32 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2001 Acura Integra GS-R 1.8L

Engine1.8 L
Trans5-speed Standard

car Vehicle Data

2001 Acura Integra GS-R 1.8L

Engine1.8 L
Trans5-speed Standard